I found this prayer locket at a sample sale here at EWTN. In it, I put a small scrap of paper with a prayer request that I have asked for since the first time Megan came to live with us after the divorce.
I have days when I wonder if God is just toying with me. Over Christmas my prayer seemed to be answered. Maybe I’m not being specific enough, maybe it should be to give them both patience, tolerance and the wisdom to understand each other.
They both have identical personalities – strong willed, hardheaded. And they can butt heads with the best of them. They both pout in their own ways. I keep hearing the voice in my head “Go to your room if you’re going to pout” – and Megan does. She pouts with her father too and from the recounts that I’ve been told – it makes him mad too.
I have days when maybe I should pray for them to both grow up – then maybe I can quit being such a stick in the mud all the time.
So for now, I’ll have to keep the happy memories in my mind. My prayer remains the same even though I’m having difficulties understanding the “answer” I keep getting.
To it, I add that they come to realize that life is too short to harbor grudges or bad feelings.
From the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:3-10):
- Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (v3)
- Blessed are the meek: for they shall posses the land. (v4)
- Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted. (v5)
- Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. (v6)
- Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. (v7)
- Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. (v8)
- Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. (v9)
- Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (v10)
Now if I can just feel like God is listening.